What is the function of the Academic Writing Center?
The Academic Writing Center will provide professional help with academic writing so that students can write more effectively.
- Michelle Biring PANI, MSc
- Enkleva PRIFTI, MSc
- Klodjana SKENDAJ, MSc
Kinds of Service: The Academic Writing Center will offer help with:
- Research Paper Structure
- Academic Style
- Citations and References
- Sentence Structure
The Academic Writing Center instructors WILL NOT CORRECT/PROOFREAD student papers. We want students to become better writers and we can teach them how to proofread. Students can use other services outside the university, for paper proofreading. The Academic Writing Center will make efforts to provide students with information on other services. However, the Writing Center is not responsible for the quality of these services.
- The Writing Center is open to all registered UNYT students.
- Students must sign up in advance for 20-minute appointment (if time available). If necessary and/if time is available students can make another 20-minute appointment.
- Students must be there in person; they are not allowed to drop their assignments at the Writing Center.
- Students may come to the Writing Center at any stage of the writing process.
- Students are not supposed to e-mail their papers; the Writing Center instructors and tutors cannot read student paper ahead of time.
- WAP/Composition students should get help from their own instructors for assignments in these particular classes. However, they can use the Writing Center for assignments in other classes.
- In addition to help through conferencing with an instructor/tutor, students will also be provided with handouts and information on helpful online sources.
Some helpful tips
- Plan ahead: come when you start writing or with a fist draft.
- Before you come, set an agenda for the tutorial. What do you want to work on?
- Do NOT come at the last minute because you will have little time for revision.
- Do NOT expect to work on too many issues in one tutorial.