Quality is at the heart of all activities of University of New York Tirana. The institutional mission states that UNYT was founded in offer a quality higher education order to implement flexible and innovative practices in teaching and learning in response to the globally changing face of higher education. The Quality Assurance procedures implemented by the UNYT have been developed over the 16 years of the operation thanks to the best practices of the institutional partnerships established from the very beginning.
The key principles guiding these institutional procedures are based on excellence, equity and standards.
Strategic Vision of Quality Assurance:
- …adhering to the highest standards of quality in our learning and teaching (Reference: Strategic Plan (2018-2022), Values.
- Strive for academic excellence in teaching, scholarship and service.…Reference: Strategic Plan (2018-2022), strategic Goal 5
- …the promotion of international co-operation in the field of quality assurance; (Reference: Strategic Plan (2018-2022), Objectives
- …The university commits itself to high standards of theoretical, empirical and hands-on teaching.
QA instruments at UNYT
- Instructors apply different methods for checking the degree to which students assimilate course materials.
- Teaching standards are carefully monitored each semester
- Faculty Development Workshop taking place at the beginning of each academic year
- Students are given course evaluation questionnaires conducted with complete confidentiality
- Graduate students are required to complete exits surveys upon accomplishment of their study programs
- Once every two years all instructors are peer – evaluated by their department heads.
- Grading Transparency and Comparability Report
Reference: UNYT Strategic Plan (2018-2022).
PERMANENT COMMISSION FOR QUALITY STANDARDS AND PROGRAMS ASSURANCE
Based on the Article 28 of the Statute of University of New York Tirana, The Permanent Commission for Quality Standards and Programs Assurance (QA Commission) is elected by the Academic Senate with the mission of developing and strengthening the quality system in UNYT, serving the needs of the university community and interested bodies.
QA Commission is responsible for:
- coordinating the evaluation procedures of internal and external academic units, scientific research and of the university itself.
- oversees and develops the regulations, policies, programs, academic and non-academic processes and ensures compliance with the legal framework ensuring the quality in UNYT in collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Internal evaluation of the structures and programs of study is carried out periodically under the provisions of the Code of Quality.
- intermediates, drafts and provides reports for activities and new initiatives related with quality assurance in all the units of UNYT through Quality Assurance Coordinator.
The functioning of QA Commission is regulated from the Quality Assurance Manual drafted and approved by the Commission itself.
QA Commission consists of not less than five (5) members and the members of the Commission nominate themselves and are selected by the Academic Senate.
They have an office term of two years and are eligible for reappointment. The Commission elects its chairman among its members. One member of PCQSPA shall be a students` representative. PCQSPA organization and functioning is regulated by the special regulation.
Members of Permanent Commission for Quality Standards and Programs Assurance (QA Commission)
- Prof. Dr. Suzana Guxholli – Head
- Dr. Andromahi Kufo – Faculty Member
- PhD Enkelejda Koka – Faculty Member
- PhD Ilir Capuni – Faculty Member
- Anxhela Gjini – Student Representative
- External member
Coordinator: Rafaela Alushaj
Tel: +355 44 5 12345
The legal framework defining these procedures is based on:
- Law 50/2015 “On Higher Education and Scientific Research in Institutions of Higher Education in the Republic of Albania”,
- UNYT Statute
- State Standards of Quality Assurance for institutional and study programs evaluations:
- Official website of Quality Assurance Agency in Higher Education:
- State Quality Standards for Accreditation of Institutions of Higher Education in Albania – approved by the Order of MoES No. 126, dated 17.03.2011
- State Quality Standards for Accreditation of First Cycle study programs (Bachelor) – approved by the Order of MoES No. 134, dated 21.03.2011
- State Quality Standards for Accreditation of Second Cycle study programs (Profesional Master, Master of Science, Integrate Diploma) – approved by the Order of MoES No. 135, dated 21.03.2011
- State Quality Standards for Accreditation of Third Cycle study programs (Doctorate) – approved by the Order of MoES No. 136, dated 21.03.2011
- State Quality Standards for Evaluation and Accreditation of Long-term Specialisations in Medical Sciences – approved by the Order of MoES No. 75, dated 18.02.2013
- The Agency also relies in Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG 2015 )
National quality assurance international Partners
- Quality Assurance Agency in United Kingdom
- European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education
EU Programme: Erasmus Plus Programme. Project duration: 15/10/2015 – 14/10/2018 Project no: 561510-EPP-1-2015-1-AT-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
Project title: “Strategic Support on Strengthening the Quality Assurance Structures at the Private Higher Education Institutions in Albania”
Project acronym: QAinAL
Project Fact Sheet QAinAL
International partners: Project Grant Holder (Paris London University of Salzbourg (Austria), University of Genova, (Italy); University Politechnica Bucharest (Romania).
Regional Partners: World University Service Kosova; Evolucion Academy Kosova; ‘PjetërBudi” College, Prishtina (Kosova)
National Partners: Albanian Ministry of Education and Sport, private higher education institution: ( UNYT, Marlin Barleti, UET, Epoka and Polis)